15 interesting facts about Egypt!
Egypt is the home to one of the world’s oldest civilizations and the 29th largest country in the world by area with over 82 million inhabitants.
Many dream about visiting the Pyramids of Egypt, but there’s more than Pyramids to explore and see.
1. THE EGYPTIANS INVENTED THE 365-DAYS A YEAR CALENDAR *
Yes, the ancient Egyptians invented the 365-days a year calendar, to predict the yearly floodings of the Nile river.
2. WORLD’S OLDEST DRESS WAS FOUND HERE. 5000 YEARS OLD *
How cool is that? Egypt may be home to the world’s first fashion house. I wonder if they had their own brand as well?
3. THE GREAT PYRAMIDS WAS NOT BUILT BY SLAVES *
Many people believe the pyramids were being built by slaves, but that is not the case. They were paid laborers, and most of them built with great honor towards the Pharao and those who died were buried in the tombs near the sacred pyramids.
4. GREATER CAIRO IS THE LARGEST CITY IN AFRICA AND THE MIDDLE EAST *
With an estimated population of 22 million and approximately 500 square km, Cairo is the largest city in Africa and the Middle East.
5. THERE ARE 5 MILLION FACEBOOK USERS IN EGYPT *
That’s a lot of Facebook users, and it’s continuously growing. Five million users make it the most active Facebook community in the Middle East.
6. THE MOST POPULAR SPORT IN EGYPT IS FOOTBALL *
Another fun fact about Egyptian football. There are two teams that are fierce rivals, but still sharing the same stadium, much like in Italy were A.C Milan and Inter are sharing the same stadium, even though they are rivals!
, and they are both playing at Cairo International Stadium. Zamalek SCand Al Ahly SC The teams are The derby is known as the Clasico El-Arab.
7. EVERY CITY HAD THEIR FAVORITE GOD DURING ANCIENT TIMES *
The Ancient Egyptians had so many gods that literally every city had their own favorite deity.
8. EGYPT IS HOME TO ONE OF THE WORLD’S LARGEST DAM *
Aswan high dam is the world’s largest dam, built to contain the raging waters of the world’s longest river, the Nile.
9. THE OFFICIAL LANGUAGE IS ARABIC *
But, many also understand English or French. Egypt is also home to the largest Arabic population, another interesting fact about Egypt.
10. EGYPT HAS Over 3451 HOURS OF SUN EACH YEAR *
Aswan is the third sunniest place in the world with 3863 hours of sun each year, that’s 10 hours of sun a day!
11. THE FAMOUS PYRAMID OF GIZA*
This pyramid actually has 8 sides and not four as most people believe.
12. THE HIGHEST MOUTAINTOP IN EGYPT*
Mount Catherine standing at a 2,629m high (8625 ft) tall, is the highest mountain peak in Egypt.
13. THE OFFICE NAME OF EGYPT IS JUMHURYAH MISR AL-ARABIYA*
Meaning “the Arab Republic of Egypt” in English. Egyptians refer to their country as Misr, a substitute name for Cairo.
14. EGYPT'S LOST CITY*
Heracleion was discovered under the sea after 1200 years
15. THE US STATUE OF LIBERTY*
Was initially intended to be installed in Egypt.
*Source Alex Waltner
Book Your Magical Trip To Egypt
Why Misr Travel?
Enjoy an unforgettable & unique vacation
Provide All inclusive packages.
Offer best service hotels in Egypt.
Expert Travel consultants & Multilingual speaking guides.
Your satisfaction is our goal
Safe & easy ways of payment
We are ready to provide all types of tour services
Misr Travel is accessible all over Egypt & abroad